필리핀 세부 필인터 어학원 입니다.
오늘도 어김없이 찿아온 영어 공부의 시간!!
쉼없이 시작해 봅시다~~*
사전 적인 의미로는요~
BY ( plus a time ) = not later than : 접속사로서 (늦어도)… 까지는[쯤에는]
- Something happens by a time in the future
-not later than a particular time or date
UNTIL (or till) : 접속사, 전치사로서?…(때)까지
-is used to say how long a situation continues. Something continues until a time in the future.
-happening or done up to a particular point in time, and then stopping
- She is very busy this week. She has to finish this report?BY?Wednesday.
- They hope to build the offices?BY?March next year.
- You will need to hand your project in?BY?the end of next week.
- The meeting should have finished BY 4:30.
- Application forms must be received BY March 31st.
- She is very busy this week. She won’t have any time?UNTIL?Wednesday.
- The kidnappers have given us UNTIL October 11th to deliver the documents.
- Perry was leading the race UNTIL the final bend.
- Baker is expected to be here UNTIL the end of the week.
- I was employed by a manufacturing company UNTIL 1999.
- You’ll just have to wait UNTIL they call your name.
- Yesterday he stayed in bed?UNTIL?12:00.
- Keep going UNTIL I tell you to stop.
BY와 UNTIL 은 우리말로 ~까지로 똑같이 해석되지만 의미상의 차이가 있습니다.
BY는 일회성 행위와 같이 쓰입니다. 즉 확정적인 결말을 가지고 있는 행위에 쓰이는 것이죠.
그러나 UNTIL은 지속성 행위와 같이 씁니다. 그렇기에 미래완료 시제와 같이 사용할수 없는 것이구요.
여러분 모두 헷갈리는 단어 없는날까지 , 화이팅!